The castle stands at an altitude of about 450 meters in southern Tuscany, at the border between Valdichiana and Val d'Orcia, just a few kilometers from Montepulciano (Siena).
As denote the name, Montepulciano is a town of Etruscan origin. The legend goes that it was founded by Porsenna, the lucumo of Chiusi. The object of Siena's expansionist aims since the 12th century, Montepulciano formed an alliance with Florence. When Florence conquered Siena in 1559, Montepulciano lost its strategic importance but maintained its prestige as a city of art and culture. In the second half of the 16th century, it became an episcopal town, and in 1594 began the construction of the new, imposing cathedral, which was consecrated in 1712.
Nowadays Montepulciano is renowned mainly for the excellent wines produced in the surrounding countryside: the Vino Nobile and the Rosso di Montepulciano. The town has also been the set of several films, including "The English Patient", "Under the Tuscan Sun" and "The Twilight Saga: New Moon".
The imposing building in red bricks and travertine is part of a big farm producing wine and olive oil. In the course of the centuries, many buildings were built around the central nucleus of the castle, which dates back to the second half of the 15th century.
The castle is organized around a beautiful internal courtyard and is surrounded by a wide Italian garden dotted with exotic trees. The olive groves and vineyards of the farm stretch beyond the garden.
The farm is just a few kilometers from Montepulciano, the town of the Vino Nobile, and from Chianciano Terme thermal baths. Other famous tourist destination in southern Tuscany and central Italy, including Montalcino, Pienza, Siena, Orvieto, Todi, Assisi and Perugia, are easily reached by car for pleasant one-day trips. Nature lovers can visit Lake of Chiusi natural protected area. The castle is also an excellent accommodation for sporty guests: a golf club, a riding stable and a tennis club are within 8 kilometers of the estate.
The guests of the castle are granted the exclusive use of a fenced swimming pool (8x4 m; depth: 1.40 m) furnished with sun loungers and deck chairs. A second swimming pool (10x20 m; depth: 1.50 m), fenced and equipped with deck chairs and sun loungers as well, is to be shared with the other guests of the farm.
The barbecue equipment and a table for having meals al fresco are at guests' disposal.
With its rooms decorated in the traditional Sienese style and its huge park, the castle is an excellent location for celebrating weddings and other special occasions.
The castle is a two-story building composed of kitchen, dining room, two living rooms, three double bedrooms (one with an ensuite bathroom), two twin bedrooms, two single bedrooms, three more bathrooms and a half bathroom.
Two supplementary single beds are available upon request.
Facilities and Services
The castle is equipped with barbecue, working fireplace, DVD player, gas oven, microwave oven and private car parking place.
A baby sitter, a cook and breakfast and maid services are available upon request.
Tastings of the products of the farm are organized upon request.
A restaurant and a food shop are 1.5 and 3 kilometers from the castle, respectively.
Other shops and services of any kind are 4 kilometers from the farm.
A riding stable is 6 kilometers from the property.
A tennis club and a golf club are 8 kilometers from the estate.