Historic villa dating from the late 14th century for vacation in the countryside around Lucca. Sleeps 10, swimming pool, wide garden, enthralling vistas, barbecue equipment, table-tennis table, Internet connection. Forte dei Marmi and Viareggio within short driving distance.
The imposing vacation villa dating from the late 14th century stands at an altitude of 298 meters on a hill in the countryside of western Tuscany and enjoys enthralling vistas of the plain of Lucca.
In 180 BC Lucca became a Roman colony, as demonstrate its plan and the presence of the amphitheater. From the 5th century it was occupied by the Goths and the Byzantines; in the 12th century it became a free commune and then a republic. In the Middle Ages Lucca was a fundamental stop of the pilgrimage along the Via Francigena, the ancient route from the countries of northern Europe to Rome.
The walls that nowadays still surround the historic center of Lucca were built between the 15th and 17th centuries and are considered the most well-preserved in Europe. Lucca is rich in Renaissance palaces and towers, the most famous being the Guinigi tower. Due to the presence of many religious buildings, Lucca is also called the "town of the hundred churches". The Duomo of San Martino houses the celebrated funeral monument of Ilaria del Carretto, sculpted by Jacopo della Quercia.
Every year Lucca hosts "Lucca Summer Festival", a music festival that takes place in the summer in the squares of the town, and "Lucca Comics and Games", an international festival devoted to comics, role-playing and board games and animation.
The villa is an excellent accommodation for various types of tourists: those who love art and culture can visit Lucca, Pisa, Volterra and San Gimignano; those who love discovering the ancient traditions of the places they visit can spend some hours in the picturesque villages of Garfagnana; last but not least, sea and nightlife lovers can visit the nearby towns of Viareggio and Forte dei Marmi, with their beaches and trendy discos and pubs.
In origin the majestic building was the hunting house of Paolo Guinigi, who ruled Lucca from 1400 to 1430. The villa has maintained several original elements, including the terracotta-tiled floors, the beamed ceilings and the frescoes that decorate the walls of the living room on the upper ground floor. The elegant rooms are furnished in rustic style with some antiques.
in the wide terraced garden that surrounds the villa are the private swimming pool (10x5 m; depth: 1.50-3 m) and a loggia furnished with table and chairs for having meals al fresco.
The ancient lemon house has been transformed into a covered terrace.
A table-tennis table and the barbecue equipment are at guests' disposal.
The villa composes of entry hall, kitchen with fireplace and ancient wood-burning oven, dining room, large living room with fireplace, TV room, four double bedrooms (two have an ensuite bathroom), a twin bedroom, two bathrooms with shower and a half bathroom.
Facilities and Services
The villa is equipped with table-tennis table, barbecue, working fireplace, TV set, freezer, oven, microwave oven, toaster, American-style coffee maker and private car parking place.
A maid service is available upon request.
Dinners are organized at the villa upon request.
A café, a restaurant, a chemist's and a food shop are in Matraia, 2 kilometers from the villa.
Other shops and services of any kind are in Marlia, 6 kilometers from the estate.